Since 2011, Twistin Tots has run Summer musical picnics – raising money for worthy causes. To date, these have raised almost £5000 and have proved really popular, so they are now annual events.
There were five musical picnics in 2018 and we are planning a similar number for 2019. The picnics are free events and for the last four years we have been collecting donations for Rainbows Hospice.
This year, we will also be raising much needed funds for Belper Community Hall, which was recently taken over by a new Committee, but which currently has very little funds available to run it. As a valuable local resource, we are keen to help! All money raised this year, will be split between these two charities.
So what are the Picnics?
Each picnic consists of a free 60 minute music session, followed by a picnic and play in the park (you have to bring your own picnic and rug). All picnics start at 11am.
NB The events are predominantly aimed at babies, toddlers and pre-schoolers. Older siblings are welcome to attend, but we have limited props, so priority will be given to smaller children when distributing these.
Some of our 2019 event dates are now confirmed:
- Monday 29 July, Belper Memorial Gardens, King St, Belper DE56 1PZ, 11 am start
- Wednesday 31 July, Powtrell Community Pavillion, Beech Lane, West Hallam DE7 6JY, 11am start
- Friday 2 August, Crossley Park, School Lane, Ripley DE5 3GT, 11am start
- Saturday 3 August, Belper Memorial Gardens, King St, Belper DE56 1PZ (as part of the Belper Pride Celebrations – NB 3.30pm start for this event)
- Wednesday 7 August, The Whitworth Centre, Station Rd, Darley Dale, Matlock, DE4 2EQ, 11am start
- Friday 9 August, Shirland Village Hall, Main Road, Shirland, Alfreton, DE55 6BB, 11am start
Wet weather venues
Obviously these picnics are weather-dependent. If the weather is really bad, we have arranged ‘wet weather venues’ for some (but not all) of the picnics. They are as follows:
- Belper – Belper Community Hall
- West Hallam – Powtrell Community Pavillion
- Ripley – no wet weather venue
- Darley Dale/ Matock – no wet weather venue
- Shirland /Alfreton – Shirland Village Hall